Thursday, April 12, 2012

Nose to the Grindstone

So at work, doing more overtime, I found a copy of "Writer's Digest" in my desk that a coworker had given me. I was leafing through it, and a lot of the tips in it I have in more detailed format in a book on how to write horror. So I'm flipping through and find an interview with Robert Kirkman.

You know, the guy who created "The Walking Dead" and "Invincible" as well as working on numerous other comic projects. Hell, the guy even writes for the TV show based off of his "The Walking Dead" comics. So, curious I began to read.

The first part of the interview was talking about how he use to work his day job and then at night write. That sometimes he went only on a couple of hours of sleep due to his self publishing. It really made me think. Then I remembered a section in the awesome horror writer's guide I just mentioned talking about finding time for writing. Sometimes you just have to abandon stuff to do so. After all, the end goal is more important than procrastination.

Like this posting a blog here is procrastination.

Anyway, I started pondering and realized that there's about an hour and a half where I'm doing nothing a night but playing on the web and talking to people on line.

Don't get me wrong, I love talking to my on line buddies. Especially since other than my husband I really don't have that many friends in real life to talk about stuff too. Like I'm sort of the tag along with him, which is fine most of the time, but I value my on line friends. Plus I sort of really suck in person; at least on line I can appear cool and witty instead of stuttering all the time.

I realized that if I gave up my on line socialization for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday every week I'd get at least three more hours to write. At least. Probably closer to four or maybe five. Then I realized how much I can get done in just an hour and then having at least three extra hours a week?

Well, I just might have that novel done by January if I keep at it.

So next week I am going to try this. For my friends who I talk to online this isn't because I hate you, no I love you all very dearly. This is because I need to do this. For me to succeed I need to put my nose to the grind stone and kick some ass.

Besides, I'll still be on Monday and Friday nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment